Re: [SLUG] What is a good printer?

From: Justin Keyes (m9u35@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 15:35:49 EST

I am probably wrong, but from my reading I understand that many Lexmark
and other windows-only printers do NOT use postscript. Instead, they
use a proprietary printing language that only works with Windows,
because, in order to have cheaper printers, they make the system do the
printer's work. An analogy would be the so-called WinModems, or
software modems, that make the system do the modem's work, and slow
down the system when they are used. I'm pretty sure that ghostscript
is used to foot the bill of otherwise incompetent printers.

--Justin Keyes

--- Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 09:19:39AM -0800, Justin Keyes wrote:
>
> > Be careful with Lexmark. Most or all lexmarks require ghostscript,
> > meaning they are windows-only printers. I couldn't get my lexmark
> z23
> > to work, and I couldn't find linux drivers for it....
> >

> I'm not sure what this means. Many Linux printing implementations use
> ghostscript as an intermediate layer, so I don't know how Lexmarks
> requiring ghostscript means that they're Windows-only printers. Are
> you
> saying that Lexmarks are postscript printers? If so, that's the
> native
> printing language of Linux.
>
> Paul

=====