Re: [SLUG] This is for Justin as he chose to dump gas on the fire

From: Matthew Moen (mattlists@younicks.org)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 13:31:09 EDT

Thus spake David Meyer on the 18 day of the 06 month in the year 2002:

> Open your eyes and read this carefully
> Justin...I_DON'T_WANT_TO_SELL_DOWNLOADED_DISTROS. That would be against the
> law, and I've never disagreed with that. I PURCHASE a BOXED_SET of the
> product and DO_NOT_MAKE_ANY (I_REPEAT) ANY_MONEY OFF_OF_THAT_BOXED SET.

I'd rather not touch the rest of this semi-flame fest, but I would like
to correct and clarify this point. Selling downloaded Linux "distros"
isn't against the law per-se. Most of the software in these
distributions is either GPLed, which allows sale of GPL software so long
as the source is somehow obtainable, or some sort of BSD license which
is even more lax about it's sale (source code does not have to be
obtainable). The only reason it might be illegal to re-sell some
distributions is because of additional software they've included that
isn't GPLed, BSDed, or some other Open Source-type license.

The above is an over-simplification of licensing only regarding the sale
of GPL and BSD licensed software. Do some reading at
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php to learn the
differences between the various "Open Source" licenses. (That is, "Open
Source" as according to the Open Source Initiative...let's NOT start
/that/ flame-fest :-).

--
Matthew Moen

Outlook is as attractive to email viruses as a heap of dead and rotting cows is to a fly. So long as that maggot-filled pile of corpses is there, swatting at the flies isn't going to work. Alan Bellingham, SDM