Re: [SLUG] Gentoo w00h00!

From: Charles A. Jeffrey (cajeffrey@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 21:45:42 EDT

I don't really understand what u r asking but for me i did this to set up gentoo linux 2 work with dhcp. I had a direct dsl connection so no "local network/gateway/router" was needed" (no static ips)(or private ip's) which makes it easy/simple.
"dhcpcd eth0" (eth0 is the device name of your NIC card that is connected to your dsl modem (or router i guess - i never have had 1 except 4 a linux box).
type it in the command line at install time; and later in a script net.eth0 and conf.d/net i think for booting. 1 thing: all hardware must be operable and connected prior to doing this. Gentoo assumes u can have network connectivity at the initial install. I little thing i figured out later after some failing and RTM and mailing list.
I didn't have any proxy servers or firewalls running at this time so I don't know about them. Dhcpcd fills in all of your conf files and sets up the ip, netmask, and broadcast 4 u. Sorry I can't be of anymore help but really filling in all this info is not all that hard. The hard part is finding a good source of helpful info. The "geekish" in all the docs is hard 4 me to understand. There is also "ambiguity" and "more than 1" wrong answer for a ?. Erroneous and cryptic error msgs r another story.
Well, I don't think i am helping here so, i'll go. Good luck!

Allen