Re: [SLUG] not a linux problem

From: JamesS (penroses@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 21:51:15 EST

I am supposing you have the MB setup in a case with nothing more than the
board, processor, memory, video card, and a speaker so you can hear the
beep. I did have a athlon 650 puter that was doing the same thing. Tried 3
different AGP video cards, 3 sticks of memory before i found that the cmos
jumper was set to clear. still go no beeps and no video. For a lark i put in
an old trident PCI video card and the puter fired right up after moving the
cmos jumper off clear. I still dont have any beeps since it doesnt have a
speaker attached to the MB. Like you i was getting the fan on the processor
turning on and when i hooked the floppy and a cdrom drive the lights lit up
on them. dont know if it helps but you can fire them up without being in a
case. The MB may be shorting out to the case. If you still dont get it to
fire up, replace the MB first as it is usually the culprit. I have only had
one bad processor in 15 puters i have been building.

JamesS