Re: [SLUG] Red Hat Network

From: Martin C. Messer (marty@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Feb 07 2003 - 09:08:57 EST

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 16:02, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Doug Koobs wrote:
>
> > While researching the problems I am having with RHN, I came across this
> > interesting article about ReHat's push to get its customers to pay for
> > their premium products...
> >
> > http://news.com.com/2100-1001-983546.html
>
> "It's impossible to replicate a certified version of Red Hat
> Advanced Server. That only comes from us," Thompson said.
>
> yawn -- I have to pay when I buy groceries at the market too.
> But I can grow my own food for free if I'm willing to invest
> the time.

We look at Advanced Server as a comprehensive offering, not software.
Kevin, our CFO, knows that going too deep with the street just confuses
them. Advanced Server is an OS, an RHN channel, and Enterprise level
support (per customer there may be other components - I'm not sure). So
technically no one _can_ replicate Red Hat Advanced Server the offering,
but the bits are free (as in speech) for the taking.

--
Martin C. Messer   | marty@redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.      | Information Systems & Technologies

GPG 4029BAF7 0D9C 3526 18AE ABB6 AA7A 67B5 A950 A7C8 4029 BAF7