Re: [SLUG] Copy and paste???

From: Frank Robers _ SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Feb 23 2003 - 08:13:07 EST

On Saturday 22 February 2003 21:17, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:
> >"Copy and paste" is one of the two most broken items that do not work
> >correctly in Linux that because of preconceived ideas of standards.
>
> Well.... every application (with KDE) I use accepts highlight + center
> button pasting except OpenOffice, which does fine with Windows-style
> Control-C, Control-V.
>
> >The other major broken item is linux inability to have more than one -
> > modem & Ethernet - Internet configuration (not connection) at the same
> > time such as would be extremely useful for a laptop.
>
> Huh? I have a laptop and I travel a lot. I use Mandrake, and I'm set up
> for wireless, wired LAN, and dialup modem all the time. Any distribution
> with decent hardware detection on boot and scripts that will load
> modules (hopefully already installed) you need for the hardware it
> detects can handle this without thinking about it at all.
>
> I know from my own tests that Red Hat, Xandros, Lycoris, ELX, and SuSE
> all deal with multiple connection methods, no problem. I'm sure most
> others do too.
>
> - Robin

I will be glad to let you set this one up.

I have Mandrake 9.0 on it and I can set up either Ethernet or modem and get
both to work very well. What I have been totally unable to do is set it up so
that I can connect by modem, disconnect and then go to DSL without having to
do a new setup which will destroy the previous set up. And Yes I have tried
the multiple setup procedure a number of times.

Pathetic thing was this did work in the RHO 6.x and 7.x days but not today.

I will even be glad to let you solve my other three outstanding issues.

The first one is easy. I know I did it I just forget what I did and how after
reinstalling the system after one of my attempts to solve the Internet issue.
How does one get Minicom to recognize the serial port while maintaining all
other communication recognition of existing modems.

The other two issue is a little more difficult. How to get the computer to
recognize two mice at the same time and how to get the computer to recognize
an external monitor ie. two monitors at the same time. MS does why won't
linux?

As for past well to me you are partly right. It does function. It will cut and
past. It just does not do it correctly. For example if you highlight a word
copy it and then highlight the word you want to replace "cut & past" does not
replaced the highlighted word. Thus 90+% of people will say and argue
strongly "cut & past" is broken.

I will also venture to say that if your test have not picked up the above
issue along with the screen issues that there is something big time wrong
with your tests or more likely senareo your are to sufficiated, to
knowledgeable, and to much an expert to run test on the installation needs
mid level and lower computer competent people.

Frank