Re: [SLUG] Copy and paste???

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sun Feb 23 2003 - 08:44:31 EST

>The first one is easy. I know I did it I just forget what I did and how after
>reinstalling the system after one of my attempts to solve the Internet issue.
>How does one get Minicom to recognize the serial port while maintaining all
>other communication recognition of existing modems.

I don't know, but since it takes about 10 seconds to change Modem
setting in KPPP (I don't bother with Minicom) it's not an issue for me.

>The other two issue is a little more difficult. How to get the computer to
>recognize two mice at the same time and how to get the computer to recognize
>an external monitor ie. two monitors at the same time. MS does why won't
>linux?

Haven't tried two mice at the same time. I will when I get a new (really
a used "refurbished") T-20 from work with an external touchpad. As far
as the monitor, I regularly use an external monitor - projector - to
give slide shows. Every laptop I have ever owned had a function key that
toggled between "laptop scree only" "external monitor only" and "both."
On the HP I am using right now it's F5. On my current brokedown Thinkpad
it's F7.

>As for past well to me you are partly right. It does function. It will cut and
>past. It just does not do it correctly. For example if you highlight a word
>copy it and then highlight the word you want to replace "cut & past" does not
>replaced the highlighted word. Thus 90+% of people will say and argue
>strongly "cut & past" is broken.

Huh? You're describing a "replace" function. "Paste" does inserts. You
highlight text (or whatever), you go to the location (perhaps in another
window or another program) where you want to put it, you click your #3
mouse button (or if two buttons, both at the same time) and your
highlighted info drops into the new place.

>I will also venture to say that if your test have not picked up the above
>issue along with the screen issues that there is something big time wrong
>with your tests or more likely senareo your are to sufficiated, to
>knowledgeable, and to much an expert to run test on the installation needs
>mid level and lower computer competent people.

I am a writer, not a computer geek. If I see a command line once a month
that's too often. Let's just say my tests are lousy and I don't know
what I'm doing, and leave it at that. Now I have a story to write. :)

- Robin