Re: [SLUG] want to convert documents to Korean

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2007 - 15:00:53 EDT

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 12:54:59PM -0400, William Coulter wrote:

> I have a friend that is Korean and he would like me to convert my
> documents over to Korean. We are doing a little experiment to see what we
> can use to help other people who want to do the same. What is out there
> that I can use? We both use Ubuntu and openoffice. I did a google search
> but all I could see were sites for business or pay to translate places.
> Thanks for any help.

You could try babelfish (google it), but I don't think you're going to
get a really good translation unless you get a person who speaks/writes
Korean and English well to translate it. Languages (especially English)
don't translate well word-for-word. There are idioms and colloquialisms
that are difficult to spot for translation software. For example, in
French, they say "q'est-ce que c'est" (I think that's the way it's
spelled.) Literally, it says "what is it that it is?". But it translates
as "what's up?", "what do you mean?", "what is that?", etc.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster