Re: [SLUG] OT: router/switch

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2007 - 19:16:40 EDT

On Thursday 11 October 2007, Chris Mathey wrote:

> I've never found a purpose for a managed switch for my home network.
> Anyone have examples?

Let's say you want to connect a few computers on their own LAN. With a managed
switch you can split it up into different switches. I have one for example
where 1,2 and 3 is one (virtual) switch, 2 and 3 is the second and the
remaining a third.

Now I can build a LAN for testing on 1-3 without getting another switch.

Managed switches also give statistics on the traffic so you can tell what is
going on without looking at the lights. Indeed you get a lot more specifics
on type of traffic and so on.

If your LAN is big being managed might be important to identify where you have
bottlenecks and so on. You can often build virtual networks spanning several
switches this way too. Depending on the switch you could have some great
features along the lines I mentioned.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.