Re: [SLUG] OT: router/switch

From: Robin - Bartow FL (suncoastlug.mailbox@gibp.com)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2007 - 08:39:05 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: William Coulter wrcoulter33@gmail.com
To: slug@nks.net
Sent: 10/11/07 1:41 PM
Subject: [SLUG] OT: router/switch

> As this is not a Linux topic but I am looking at buying a new home
> router/switch setup. What do you suggest? I am thinking of some options.
> 1. buy a home switch with 16 or 24 ports. I only need 8 so I can do some
> home networking. I would like something that has to managed or configured.
> If I could stay under $200 it would be great.
> 2. buy another linksys.
> 3. other options.

I have two router/switches sitting on top of my monitor.
One for WAN and the other for LAN.
However, my important stuff is not protected by any firewall.
It is protected by a power switch or loose cat-5 cable.

"buy another linksys"
Ebay is a great place to shop. You can even set up a "future email alert" for product keywords (like a model number). For familiarity, I have matching linksys models for WAN and LAN.

"other options"
I have found some good deals in thrift shops within (or near) wealthy retirement communities.

/robin