Re: [SLUG] choppy audio over IAX trunk in Asterisk

From: Tyler Vann-Campbell (tyler.v@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 14:57:41 EDT

I'm not sure what your problem is, but one of the differences between
sip trunks and iax trunks is that iax trunks have the adaptive
jitterbuffer on by default. At one point, my endpoints both had
jitterbuffers, so the having a extra buffer caused the impression of
jitter. That may have something to do with it. You may want to make
sure a buffer along the way isn't inserting jitter. Check if you can
turn it off in your iax.conf file.

Hope this helps.

On 10/26/07, Chris Mathey <slug@mathey.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I believe we have some other Asterisk users here so I figured I would
> post this.
> I have an IAX trunk between 2 Asterisk servers, I'll call them A and B.
> Whenever there is a call placed over the trunk to connected stations the
> audio from B is always choppy\garbled. Audio from "A" is always clear
> from B's perspective.
>
> I've ruled out bandwidth\jitter\latency issues (SIP calls between A and
> B are fine.)
> Both Asterisk servers are also on dedicated underutilized hardware.
> Both Asterisk servers do not have zaptel hardware and load ztdummy for
> timing.
> Any suggestions ?
> Thanks!
> -Chris

"The power of the computer is marvelous, and the cost of computer
power is small, and you can over time build files that have lots of
information on them about people's past preferences, and prejudices,
and living patterns." K.R. 1999